I grew up as an only child of "older"parents and lived with my grandparents. Some people assume I was spoiled, maybe I was a little. But more so I was disciplined... dependable... polite... responsible. I NEVER did anything rebellious, but I always wanted to. For years I carried my rebellion around, suppressed and hidden. Finally, at 27, with my PhD under my belt, married, and even more settled than ever, I've gone and bought a bad-ass motorcycle! This blog will, hopefully, document it all. Choosing the bike, learning to ride, and all of the adventures that will surely come when I swing my leg over my Big Girl Bike!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We broke the century mark!

Friday June 3rd:
Since we are now a one-car-family, DH is going to have to take the car to his Saturday morning golf-league – can’t really carry golf clubs on a motorcycle! Of course, that means that I’m going to have to take the bike to the barn. I’m not too worried about it, but I did want to do a practice run when DH was with me just to be on the safe side. So, as soon as I got home from work and changed we hit the road.
The first part of the route we had ridden before… all the way to the Kroger (this is DH’s favorite place). After that it was new territory by bike… I really have NO words to describe how much FUN and how AWESOME this ride was. We left the house with 68 miles on the odometer and returned 2.5hours later with 101 miles. That’s right! We broke the century mark! This trek involved several traffic lights, several stop signs, rail-road tracks, lots of curves, some take-offs from hills, and some really sharp turns (including one with loose gravel). All of which we navigated successfully. We are also starting to get a lot more comfortable, which is a good thing, but we always remain VERY cautious.
After we got back to the house DH says, “Hey! I’m hungry, let’s ride to the BK.” It’s not far from the house and was very refreshing after a long ride in humid 93oF weather. Another newbie lesson, get a small drink when you stop for food on the motorcycle. You can refill it if you need to, but I felt really silly when I had to throw away half my medium drink because I couldn’t take it with me on the bike! Seriously, it’s like a whole new world! Things you don’t think twice about in the car are, all of sudden, valid concerns!
Here are some pictures from our BK pit stop!


By the time we got back to the house the sun had set and twilight was rapidly fading to night. Overall, it was a fantastic way to end the ride, the evening, and the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment