I grew up as an only child of "older"parents and lived with my grandparents. Some people assume I was spoiled, maybe I was a little. But more so I was disciplined... dependable... polite... responsible. I NEVER did anything rebellious, but I always wanted to. For years I carried my rebellion around, suppressed and hidden. Finally, at 27, with my PhD under my belt, married, and even more settled than ever, I've gone and bought a bad-ass motorcycle! This blog will, hopefully, document it all. Choosing the bike, learning to ride, and all of the adventures that will surely come when I swing my leg over my Big Girl Bike!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Triumphant Ride - Pt. 1

The first night they came off the trailer (at about 8pm) we hopped right on (after putting on all of our safety gear – helmets, jackets, gloves, and boots) and rode until 10:30pm. We started off just going around the cul-de-sac in our neighborhood. This is was great for getting used to the friction zone, changing gears, and turning. Then we decided to venture about 100 yards down the street to the elementary school parking lot. Obviously it was empty at 9pm. There we practiced some slower speed turns and tighter maneuvers. Then we started feeling more comfortable and decided to ride down the road about 300 yards in the other direction to grab something to eat at our favorite Mexican joint. This little venture even involved two left turns!

The minute we parked the bikes in front of the restaurant, a guy rides by on a Harley… and he’s the typical Harley guy with the tats and the long beard… and gives us the low deuces. Evidently this is the official “motorcycle rider family” wave! We are officially cool! Then, after we went in and sat down, we’re looking out the window admiring our new bikes when this guy walking across the lot practically drags his poor wife over and is pointing excitedly at my red bike. Again, instant cool! We’re loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment