I grew up as an only child of "older"parents and lived with my grandparents. Some people assume I was spoiled, maybe I was a little. But more so I was disciplined... dependable... polite... responsible. I NEVER did anything rebellious, but I always wanted to. For years I carried my rebellion around, suppressed and hidden. Finally, at 27, with my PhD under my belt, married, and even more settled than ever, I've gone and bought a bad-ass motorcycle! This blog will, hopefully, document it all. Choosing the bike, learning to ride, and all of the adventures that will surely come when I swing my leg over my Big Girl Bike!

Friday, June 3, 2011

MSF strategies in action!

Monday, Memorial Day, called for another breakfast adventure. We planned to meet three of our friends at the Cracker Barrel so that they could see the bikes. We set off along a very similar route to the one we’d taken to the IHOP the previous morning except at the second traffic light we made a left instead of a right. Well, this was the first left turn that I’d made where there was a curb involved. I was SO worried about hitting that curb that I looked right down at it. Guess what happens when you look down at the curb…. Well, since the bike tends to go where you’re looking, odds are you run into the curb. Which I did. Fortunately when I realized that I was going to run into it, I called on my MSF training and straightened the handle-bars before really laying on the brake. The front tire locked, and I remembered to back off and then reapply the brake. Overall I saved it really well and didn’t go down. Unfortunately I did scrape along the curb a bit. Fortunately the only damage sustained was to the bottom of the heat guards on the exhaust, which you have to lay down on the ground to actually see even if I point it out to you.
I felt so silly, but I also felt good that I had remembered enough of my training to make a decent save. The rest of the ride to breakfast (and back home afterward) went without incident and our friends LOVED the bikes. One of them (Bill) has a Harley and wants to ride with us sometime soon!!!
Here is some video Bill took of us as we were leaving after breakfast…. THANKS BILL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment