I grew up as an only child of "older"parents and lived with my grandparents. Some people assume I was spoiled, maybe I was a little. But more so I was disciplined... dependable... polite... responsible. I NEVER did anything rebellious, but I always wanted to. For years I carried my rebellion around, suppressed and hidden. Finally, at 27, with my PhD under my belt, married, and even more settled than ever, I've gone and bought a bad-ass motorcycle! This blog will, hopefully, document it all. Choosing the bike, learning to ride, and all of the adventures that will surely come when I swing my leg over my Big Girl Bike!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Triumphant Purchase!

We passed our MSF Basic Rider course on Sunday and on Thursday afternoon we were at the DDS getting our licenses reissued to show that we are officially “CM” endorsed. On Saturday, we were at the bike shop looking to make a purchase if the price was right.

As I said, I had fallen for the Honda Shadow Spirit. But, in the intervening time, my husband had decided to take a look at Triumph bikes. We had always bypassed them in the shop thinking they were way outside our price range. But, he found out that they had three models that we could actually afford: The Speedmaster, the America, and the Bonneville. All three have an identical parallel twin 883cc engine, its just the styling that’s different. The Bonneville is VERY vintage, it was what Steve McQueen rode in “The Great Escape” and it still looks just like that! DH really liked the look, but HATED the seat. He also kinda liked the America, which has a very classic cruiser style, but said that the tank was a bit too wide for him. I was instantly in love with the Speedmaster with its very classic but more sporty styling. It also fit me pretty well, narrow through the tank/seat, low enough for me to put both feet on the ground, handle- bars easy to reach. DH decided, after sitting on all of them, that the Speedmaster was most comfortable for him as well.

The 2011 Triumph Speedmaster comes in two colors, black and red. DH got the black one, I got the red one. We both got helmets to match, because it’s all about the look right? For two old farts we look REALLY cool on these machines! (I’ve never been cool before!)

No comments:

Post a Comment