I grew up as an only child of "older"parents and lived with my grandparents. Some people assume I was spoiled, maybe I was a little. But more so I was disciplined... dependable... polite... responsible. I NEVER did anything rebellious, but I always wanted to. For years I carried my rebellion around, suppressed and hidden. Finally, at 27, with my PhD under my belt, married, and even more settled than ever, I've gone and bought a bad-ass motorcycle! This blog will, hopefully, document it all. Choosing the bike, learning to ride, and all of the adventures that will surely come when I swing my leg over my Big Girl Bike!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Triumphant Ride - Pt. 2

After dinner we decide we’re not done, or my DH decided. I was actually ready to park it as I don’t see well in the dark. But, he just wants to make a short loop to the Kroger and back. So we set out. By now it’s completely dark and we’re riding by headlights. This is making me VERY nervous. The second stop sign we come to has several cars lined up to our left. I wave the first guy through and then I take off, thinking that DH would depart simultaneously. No. No. Not so much. So I take off, then a car turns behind me, then my DH. So I look in my rear-view and I see two headlights, not one, and I think, “I don’t know what to do. I guess I’ll just go on to the Kroger and if he doesn’t show up in a minute I’ll go back. “ But, luckily he was right behind that car and arrived at the Kroger ten seconds after I did. BUT, all of this has scared me half to death so I have to walk around the Kroger for a few minutes to calm down before setting off again for home.
The ride home was fairly uneventful, right up until we reach the entrance to the neighborhood. We live in a gated community. At 10pm, the gate is closed. I don’t have the remote that opens it. DH does, but between putting the bike in neutral, unzipping the pockets on the jacket, and taking off his gloves he’s having a hard time finding it. I look to my left and think, “Oh well, I’ll just lean over a bit and punch in our code on the call box keypad.” I lean maybe four inches, mind you I do this on the horse all the freaking time but I forget that the horse will actually balance itself, the bike – not so much. Both the bike and I go down. Seriously; I’ve had the thing for less than 3 hours and I’ve already dropped it. At least it was from a complete standstill. Luckily we’re both tough old broads and neither sustained any damage. Luckily no one was looking. Luckily DH was finally able to find neutral and pull the bike off me.

No comments:

Post a Comment