I grew up as an only child of "older"parents and lived with my grandparents. Some people assume I was spoiled, maybe I was a little. But more so I was disciplined... dependable... polite... responsible. I NEVER did anything rebellious, but I always wanted to. For years I carried my rebellion around, suppressed and hidden. Finally, at 27, with my PhD under my belt, married, and even more settled than ever, I've gone and bought a bad-ass motorcycle! This blog will, hopefully, document it all. Choosing the bike, learning to ride, and all of the adventures that will surely come when I swing my leg over my Big Girl Bike!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

First Steps

Two days later we were in our local bike shop (Freewheeling in Douglasville, GA: http://www.freewheeln.com/) looking at motorcycles, asking stupid questions, and trying to feel our way through what we would have to do to get the ball rolling. We went into the shop thinking we would be looking at 250cc bikes and I was convinced that I was getting a crotch rocket. THEN, I actually sat on one of the damn things and knew immediately that if I spent more than 10minutes in that position my back would be in agony! So, it was on the cruisers. Well, as it turns out, there really aren't many cruisers in the 250cc category. The closest you come is a Honda Rebel. Now, look at this thing: http://powersports.honda.com/2009/rebel.aspx Is it not the ugliest? Even as a total rookie, I was not going to be caught dead owning that! I mean, its all about the look right? So, we had to move up a bracket. Well, now you're into 750cc bikes **GASP**GULP**!! But, I instantly fell in love with the Honda Shadow Spirit http://powersports.honda.com/2009/shadow-spirit-750.aspx. I was worried that it was too much for me and I DID NOT want to be one of those chicks on a bike thats too big for her. But, the sales guy, who was actually really nice and didn't pressure us at all, said that its really all about finding a bike that fits and is comfortable for YOU. The Shadow Spirit is lowered and designed more for women riders (evidently an increasingly large section of the market). This was IT, this was the bike for me! Ok, now what?

Well, I had never ridden a bike myself and my husband had only ridden dirt bikes YEARS ago, so we had to learn how to even do this. My husband at least thought he could probably get one into gear, I didn't even know how to turn it on! So, after asking alot of silly questions, we finally ascertained that we could take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course through the Dept. of Driver Services (http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx).

No comments:

Post a Comment