I grew up as an only child of "older"parents and lived with my grandparents. Some people assume I was spoiled, maybe I was a little. But more so I was disciplined... dependable... polite... responsible. I NEVER did anything rebellious, but I always wanted to. For years I carried my rebellion around, suppressed and hidden. Finally, at 27, with my PhD under my belt, married, and even more settled than ever, I've gone and bought a bad-ass motorcycle! This blog will, hopefully, document it all. Choosing the bike, learning to ride, and all of the adventures that will surely come when I swing my leg over my Big Girl Bike!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

First Solo Ride

Today, DH had the rental car to drive to the golf course, so I could have taken the car to the barn. But, sooner or later I’m going to have the bike over there by myself (can’t carry golf clubs on a bike). So, I decided that it would be sooner and I just felt like riding it over today. The roads had dried out and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky, so what was to stop me?

I was going to have to wear my horseback riding boots and I knew that the gear shift on the bike was going to rub the leather on those. My solution… vet wrap! I had some around the house so I wrapped it twice around the toe of my left boot.

The next hurdle was going to be carrying my wallet (just in case), my garage opener and house keys (usually DH’s job), a towel (because it’s ungodly hot), and something to drink as we don’t have saddle bags yet. I decided a back pack would work and threw it all together, locked up the house, suited up, and set off.

This route is very familiar to me, I drive it at least once a week and had done it on the bike once before with DH along. I knew that the speed limits were all less than 45mph so I wouldn’t feel pressure to go faster than I might be comfortable with AND I knew there wouldn’t be too much traffic.

It was a FANTASTIC ride over! The only troublesome spot was one traffic light where I had to stop on a fairly significant hill. But, I handled it like I had been taught in my MSF class (right foot on the brake and engage the clutch before letting off the brake) and it went really well. I was a little nervous when I first left the house, but my confidence built with every mile I put beneath the tires.

I got to the barn right at the time my friend and I had agreed upon for the trail ride. They all LOVED my bike! I parked it kinda off the drive, in the dirt, under and between trees so no one would run into it and the seat wouldn’t get too hot. The “coaster” that I got at my MSF course to put under my kick-stand on very hot asphalt or “mushy” surfaces really came in handy. Thanks to the backpack I had everything I needed. I enjoyed my horsey trail ride AND my ride back home on the bike.

I’m thrilled to death that I did it myself and did it safely. Loving every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment